Monday, June 7, 2010

Refashioned Thrift Store Fitted Sheet

I recently discovered that purchasing thrift store sheets and table clothes for fabric is a lot cheaper than visiting my local JoAnns or even Wal-Mart, and since graduation, I am on a tight budget, so I was thrilled to find this awesome retro print sheet.  It has green, orange, maroon and beige, floral print.  It was a steal for a mere $1.99.   

Since it was a fitted sheet, the first thing I did was cut the elastic off the corners.
Then I decided on a pattern.  I chose to use Simplicity 7229.  It is a simple pattern that only requires one hour of sewing.  I have used it before with modifications, and I decided that this time I would follow the pattern instructions to the letter.
The next thing I did was decided on a placement for the pattern.  One that would allow my favorite orange and beige bouquet to take center stage or center skirt, rather :)

I sewed the skirt together and then sewed button holes in the yoke to allow for the tie.
 I reinforced the holes with stiff interfacing.

Last, I created the tie using the same technique as making bias tape; minus the bias cut. 
The skirt turned out okay, but I wasn't thrilled with the results. 

I did wear it over my swim suite on a fun river weekend, so it has already had some use.  Not bad for less than $1.99 when all said and done.

P.S. I can't get those spots off my mirror.  I've tried.  Also my camera is still broken so these pix were taking with my phone :o)

No comments: